MBR BEGINNING READING PROGRAM
| LAST LESSON | TABLE OF CONTENTS | NEXT LESSON |
UNIT III - LESSON 19
- Add "hug" to the "ug" family words
- Read and write words in the "ug" family
- Read sentences with "ug" family words
- Pocket chart
- Finger alphabet poster
- Family word ring with all family words introduced so far
- One word card each of the "ug" family words: "bug", "rug", "dug" and "hug"
- Sentence strips
- I hug my cat.
- The bug is little.
- My cat is on the rug.
- The cat dug and dug.
- Worksheets 3-19A, 3-19B, 3-19C
- Review Letter Sounds
- Review the chants of letters that need review.
- Review Family Words
- Review the words on the family word ring.
- Review The Spelling Of The "ug" Family Words
- Sketch a simple line drawing of a house on the blackboard. Print "ug" on the roof. Explain to the students that we are going to be writing the "ug" family words again.
- Call on a student to finger spell the word "bug" by sound and then write "bug" in the house drawn on the blackboard. Do the same for the words "rug" and "dug".
- Introduce The Word "hug"
- Call on individual students to make up sentences with the word "hug" while you hold up the word card. Make sure second language learners know the meaning of the word.
- Then call on a student to finger spell the word "hug" by sound and then add it to the "ug" family house.
- Have the students read all four words "bug", "rug", "dug" and "hug" at least a couple of times.
- Read Sentences With "ug" Family Words
- Place the words "bug", "rug", "dug" and "hug" in the pocket chart above the sentences.
- Point to the word "hug" in the first sentence and have the students read it. Then have the students read the complete sentence. Continue with the rest of the sentences in the pocket chart.
- Now have individual students read the sentences.
- Seat Work
- Pass out Worksheet 3-19A. Have all the students finger spell the word "bug" by sound. Then tell them to write the word "bug" in the house on their worksheet. Continue with the rest of the "ug" family words.
- Have the students do Worksheet 3-19B.
- Review Sessions
- Pin up copies of the "ug" family words and sentences around the room where the students can see them.
- Have the students read and finger spell the "ug" family words at least twice during the day.
- Give each student a copy of Worksheet 3-19C to do at home.
- Tell the students to show their families how to finger spell and sound out the words in the "ug" family.