MBR BEGINNING READING PROGRAM
| LAST LESSON | TABLE OF CONTENTS | NEXT LESSON |
UNIT I - LESSON 2
- Introduce the word "car"
- Pocket chart
- The word cards from Lesson 1
- Six word cards for the word "car" in lower case letters
- Pictures on 5"x8" index cards
- Worksheet 1-2A
- Review The Words "house", "A" and "a"
- Have all the students read the words together.
- If your group is small enough, have each student read the words. Otherwise choose students you feel need the most help.
- Introduce The Word "car"
- Start by showing a toy car. Have the students identify the car. If there are second language learners, be sure "car" is identified in both English and the primary language but put the emphasis on the English.
- Demonstrate to the students the sign for "car". Explain the fact that the sign for "car" illustrates the driving of a car. Make sure all the students can correctly sign the word "car" as they say it.
- Now show the students the word "car" and explain that "this is the word for car". Have the students say and sign the word "car" again as you hold a word card next to the toy car. Then put a word card for "car" in the pocket chart below the picture of a car.
- Do the same matching activity described in Lesson 1 but this time add the word "car".
- Game - Concentration
- Play the game Concentration described in Lesson 1 but this time add the word "car".
- Call on each student to read the words from this and the previous lesson. If a student forgets a word, show her the sign to help her remember.
- Make sure each student both signs and pronounces each word.
- Seat Work
- Have each student read the title and color the picture in Worksheet 1-2A.
- Review Sessions
- After the lesson is over, pin up copies of the day's words around the room where the students can see them.
- Have the students say and sign the words at least twice during the day. By the next morning most of the students if not all will know all the words introduced so far.
- Give each student a duplicate of Worksheet 1-2A to read and color at home.
- Tell the students to show their families how to read and sign the words.