MBR BEGINNING READING PROGRAM
| LAST LESSON | TABLE OF CONTENTS | NEXT LESSON |
UNIT II - LESSON 28
- Introduce the sign and sound of the letter "Tt"
- Read sentences with words that begin with the letter "t"
- Pocket chart
- Hand puppet
- Finger alphabet poster
- Word ring with words you want to review
- Word card with the word "table" printed in lower case letters
- One letter card with the letter "Tt"
- Sentence strips
- My jar is on the table.
- My table is yellow.
- The jar is not under the table.
- The duck is not on the table.
- Worksheets 2-28A, 2-28B, 2-28C
- Review The Letter Names
- Sing the alphabet song with the students as the puppet carefully touches each letter on your display. Make sure the students slow down when they come to L, M, N, O, P and the letters T, U, V. One good way to do this would be to have the students clap when they sing the letters N and U.
- Write on the board a word the students know how to read. Then have the students spell the word out loud with you as you point to each letter. Repeat with a few more words.
- Review The Letter Sounds
- Touch each letter on your display up to the letter "Ss" as you and your students do the chants as in the previous lessons.
- Review The Words On The Word Ring
- Have all the students read the words together.
- Introduce The Letter "t" and Its Sound /t/
- Hold up the letter card "Tt" and remind the students that these are the letters capital "T" and small "t".
- Show the students how to sign and sound out the letter "t".
- Put the word card for "table" in the pocket chart and point out that the first letter of the word is the letter "t" with the sound /t/. Have the students sign the letter "t" as they say the word "table" with you. Make sure they emphasize the beginning sound /t/.
- Help students come up with other examples of words that begin with the /t/ sound like the following. Make sure the students sign the letter "t" as they emphasize the beginning sounds of these words.
- "to", "ten", "teeth" and "take"
- Tell the students that to help them remember the /t/ sound let's all chant the sound of the letter "t" and the word "table" as follows. Make sure the students sign the letter "t" and the word "table" as they do the chant.
- /t/, /t/, table; /t/, /t/, table
- Be sure to teach the students how to print the letters "Tt" if you have not already done so.
- Introduce Sentences
- Place the sentences from the materials list in the pocket chart.
- Have the students read the sentences together and individually. Emphasize the beginning sounds of all the words that begin with the letter "t".
- Seat Work
- Have each student do Worksheets 2-28A and 2-28B.
- Review Sessions
- Pin up copies of the day's letter and sentences around the room where the students can see them.
- Review the sound of the letter at least twice during the day.
- Give each student the Worksheet 2-28C to read and do at home.
- Tell them to show their families how to sign and sound out the letter "t".