MBR BEGINNING READING PROGRAM
| LAST LESSON | TABLE OF CONTENTS | NEXT LESSON |
UNIT I - LESSON 9
- Introduce the word "I"
- Read sentences with the word "I"
- Pocket chart
- Hand puppet
- Word ring with the words from the previous lessons
- Word cards from the previous lessons
- Six word cards with the word "I" in lower case letters
- Sentence Strips
- I see a girl.
- I see a yellow pencil.
- I see a yellow flower and a house.
- I see a car and a girl.
- Pictures on 5"x8" index cards
- various pencils - one of which is yellow
- various flowers - one of which is yellow
- Worksheets 1-9A, 1-9B, 1-9C
- Letter Names
- Sing the alphabet song as the puppet touches the letters up to the letter "Hh".
- Write the letter "Cc" on the board. Be sure to point out the capital and lower case versions of the letter. Have the students say the name of the letter and look for it in their names and in words around the room.
- Phonemic Awareness
- Again tell the students to listen carefully as you say a two syllable word with a pause between the syllables like "can .... dy". Then have the students say the complete word.
- Repeat with other two and three syllable words.
- Review The Words On The Word Ring
- Have all the students read the words together.
- If your group is small enough, have each student read the words. Otherwise choose students you feel need the most help.
- Introduce The Word "I"
- Introduce the word "I" by holding up a word card for "I" and telling the students that this is the word for "I". Then use the word "I" in sentences to illustrate its meaning. For example, hold up a word card for "I" as you point to yourself and say "I am the teacher". Be sure second language learners know the meaning of the word.
- Place the word card for "I" in the pocket chart and demonstrate its sign. Make sure all the students can correctly sign "I".
- Call on individual students to say sentences with the word "I" while you hold up the word card. Have the class repeat each sentence. Make sure the students emphasize and sign the word "I" each time they say it.
- Read Sentences With The Word "I"
- Place the sentences from the materials list above in the pocket chart. And place the objects and pictures on the floor or on a nearby table.
- Have all the students read the sentences together.
- Choose individual students to help the puppet find and read the new word for the day in the sentences.
- Then choose individual students to read the sentences and find and pick up the corresponding objects and pictures.
- Seat Work
- Have each student do Worksheets 1-9A and 1-9B.
- Review Sessions
- After the lesson is over, pin up copies of the day's words and phrases around the room where the students can see them.
- Have the students say and sign the words at least twice during the day.
- Give each student Worksheet 1-9C to do at home.
- Tell the students to show their families how to read and sign the words.