MBR BEGINNING READING PROGRAM
| LAST LESSON | TABLE OF CONTENTS | NEXT LESSON |
UNIT I - LESSON 8
- Introduce the word "girl"
- Read phrases with the word "girl"
- Pocket chart
- Hand puppet
- Word ring with the words from the previous lessons
- Word cards from the previous lessons
- Six word cards with the word "girl" in lower case letters
- Sentence Strips
- see a girl and a house
- see a girl and a car
- see a girl and a pencil
- see a girl and a yellow flower
- Pictures on 5"x8" index cards
- toy car
- various flowers - one of which is yellow
- Worksheets Worksheets 1-8A, 1-8B, 1-8C
- Letter Names
- Sing the alphabet song
- Introduce the puppet to the children and say "let's teach the puppet the alphabet song". Have the puppet touch the letters as you and the students sing the song up to the letter "Gg". Explain that you will stop here for now until the puppet learns all the letters.
- Write the letter "Bb" on the board. Point out which letter is the capital "B" and which one is the small "b". Have the students say the name of the letter and look for it in words around the room and in their names.
- Phonemic Awareness
- Tell the students to listen carefully as you say a two syllable word with a pause between the syllables like "mon .... key". Then have the students say the complete word.
- Repeat with other two and three syllable words.
- Review The Words On The Word Ring
- Have all the students read the words together.
- If your group is small enough, have each student read the words. Otherwise choose students you feel need the most help.
- Introduce The Word "girl"
- Start by showing the students a girl and asking them what it is. If there are second language learners, be sure "girl" is identified in both English and the primary language but put the emphasis on the English.
- Demonstrate to the students the sign for "girl". Explain the fact that the sign for "girl" illustrates the string of a girl's bonnet. Make sure all the students can correctly sign the word "girl" as they say it.
- Now show the students the word "girl" and explain that "this is the word for girl". Have the students say and sign the word "girl" again as you hold a word card next to the picture of a girl. Then put a word card for "girl" in the pocket chart below the picture of a girl.
- Call on individual students to say sentences with the word "girl" while you hold up the word card. Have the class repeat each sentence. Make sure the students emphasize and sign the word "girl" each time they say it.
- Optional - do the matching activity described in Lesson 1 with six copies of the word "girl" and six copies of each of two review words.
- Read Phrases With The Word "girl"
- Place the phrases from the materials list above in the pocket chart. And place the objects and pictures on the floor or on a nearby table.
- Have all the students read the phrases together.
- Choose individual students to help the puppet find and read the new word for the day in the phrases.
- Then choose individual students to read the phrases and find and pick up the corresponding objects and pictures.
- Seat Work
- Have each student do Worksheets 1-8A and 1-8B.
- Review Sessions
- After the lesson is over, pin up copies of the day's words and phrases around the room where the students can see them.
- Have the students say and sign the words at least twice during the day.
- Give each student Worksheet 1-8C to do at home.
- Tell the students to show their families how to read and sign the words.