MBR BEGINNING READING PROGRAM
| LAST LESSON | TABLE OF CONTENTS | NEXT LESSON |
UNIT I - LESSON 6
- Introduce the word "and"
- Introduce phrases with the word "and"
- Pocket chart
- Bag for Grab Bag Game
- Word ring with the words from the previous lessons
- Word cards from the previous lessons
- Six word cards with the word "and" in lower case letters
- Sentence Strips
- see a yellow house and a car
- see a pencil and a car
- see a yellow pencil and a car
- see a house and a pencil
- Phrase strips (sentence strips cut to size for the following phrases)
- a house and a car
- a pencil and a house
- a house and a pencil
- a car and a pencil
- a house and a yellow car
- a yellow house and a car
- a yellow pencil and a house
- Pictures on 5"x8" index cards
- yellow house
- blue house
- red house
- various toy cars
- various pencils - one of which is yellow
- Worksheets 1-6A, 1-6B
- Letter Names
- Sing the alphabet song with the students a couple of times as you carefully touch each letter on your display.
- Make sure the students slow down when they come to L, M, N, O, P and the letters T, U, V. One good way to do this would be to have the students clap when they sing the letters N and U.
- Phonemic Awareness
- Help the students clap out and count the syllables in their names.
- Review The Words On The Word Ring
- Have all the students read the words together.
- If your group is small enough, have each student read the words. Otherwise choose students you feel need the most help.
- Introduce The Word "and"
- Introduce the word "and" by holding up a word card for "and" and telling the students that this is the word for "and". Then use the word "and" in phrases to illustrate its meaning. For example, place a word card for "and" between a pencil and a book as you say "a pencil and a book". Be sure second language learners know the meaning of the word.
- Place the word card for "and" in the pocket chart and demonstrate its sign. Make sure all the students can correctly sign "and".
- Call on individual students to say sentences with the word "and" while you hold up the word card. Have the class repeat each sentence. Make sure the students emphasize and sign the word "and" each time they say it.
- Do the matching activity described in Lesson 1 with six copies of the word "and" and six copies of each of two review words.
- Game - Grab Bag
- Put folded phrase strips from the Materials List in a bag.
- Shake the bag and call on individual students to close their eyes, pick a phrase and then read and sign it.
- Then have the whole class read and sign the phrase.
- Read Phrases With The Word "and"
- Place the phrases from the materials list above in the pocket chart. And place the objects and pictures on the floor or on a nearby table.
- Have all the students read the phrases together.
- Then choose individual students to read the phrases and find and pick up the corresponding objects and pictures.
- Seat Work
- Have each student do Worksheets 1-6A and 1-6B.
- Review Sessions
- After the lesson is over, pin up copies of the day's words and phrases around the room where the students can see them.
- Have the students say and sign the words at least twice during the day.
- Give each student duplicates of Worksheets and 1-6A and 1-6B to do at home.
- Tell the students to show their families how to read and sign the words.