MBR BEGINNING READING PROGRAM
| LAST LESSON | TABLE OF CONTENTS | NEXT LESSON |
UNIT I - LESSON 4
- Introduce the word "see"
- Introduce phrases with the word "see"
- Pocket chart
- One bean bag for the Bean Bag Game
- Word ring with the words from the previous lessons
- Word cards from the previous three lessons
- Six word cards with the word "see" in lower case letters
- Sentence Strips
- see a house
- see a car
- see a yellow house
- see a yellow car
- Pictures on 5"x8" index cards
- yellow house
- blue house
- red house
- various toy cars - one of which is yellow
- Worksheets 1-4A, 1-4B
- Review The Words On The Word Ring
- Have all the students read the words together.
- If your group is small enough, have each student read the words. Otherwise choose students you feel need the most help.
- Introduce The Word "see"
- Introduce the word "see" by holding up a word card for "see" and telling the students that this is the word for "see". Then use the word "see" in phrases to illustrate its meaning. For example, hold up a word card for "see" as you point to a chair and say "see the chair". Be sure second language learners know the meaning of the word.
- Place the word card for "see" in the pocket chart and demonstrate its sign. Make sure all the students can correctly sign "see".
- Call on individual students to say sentences with the word "see" while you hold up the word card. Have the class repeat each sentence. Make sure the students emphasize and sign the word "see" each time they say it.
- Do the matching activity described in Lesson 1 with six copies of the word "see" and six copies of each of two review words.
- Game - Bean Bag Toss
- Spread several copies of each of the words introduced so far on the floor.
- Have each child toss a bean bag and then read and sign the word the bean bag lands on.
- Then have the whole class read and sign the word.
- Read Phrases With The Word "see"
- Place the phrases from the materials list above in the pocket chart. And place the toy cars and pictures of houses on the floor or on a nearby table.
- Have all the students read the phrases together.
- Then choose individual students to read the phrases and find and pick up the corresponding objects and pictures.
- Seat Work
- Have each student do Worksheets 1-4A and 1-4B.
- Review Sessions
- After the lesson is over, pin up copies of the day's words and phrases around the room where the students can see them.
- Have the students say and sign the words at least twice during the day.
- Give each student duplicates of Worksheets 1-4A and 1-4B to do at home.
- Tell the students to show their families how to read and sign the words.