MBR BEGINNING READING PROGRAM
| LAST LESSON | TABLE OF CONTENTS | NEXT LESSON |
UNIT I - LESSON 35
- Introduce the MBR book My Yellow Box
- Word ring with words words from the previous lessons that need review
- Hand Puppet
- Alphabet book like Dr. Seuss's ABC
- A copy of MBR Book 3 My Yellow Box for each student. It's a good idea to to use card stock for the book covers.
- Letter Names
- Sing the alphabet song with the students a couple of times as the puppet carefully touches each letter on your display. Make sure the students slow down when they come to L, M, N, O, P and the letters T, U, V. One good way to do this would be to have the students clap when they sing the letters N and U.
- Read a good Alphabet Book like Dr. Seuss's ABC during story time.
- Phonemic Awareness
- Continue helping the students say the words on the word ring sound by sound. For example point to the letters in the word "with" as you say the sounds /wi/ /th/. Then have the students say the sounds with you.
- Review The Words On The Word Ring
- Have all the students read the words together.
- If your group is small enough, have each student read the words. Otherwise choose students you feel need the most help.
- Introduce The MBR Book My Yellow Box
- Explain to the students that we are now going to be reading a new book about a Yellow Box.
- Have the students read My Yellow Box as a group while it is held up for all to see.
- Choose individual students to read pages of the book. Ask the students questions to make sure they understand the book.
- Have the students reread their books over the next several days.
- Seat Work
- Have the students color their copies of My Yellow Box - make sure to remind them to color the boxes yellow and the apple on page 7 red.
- Have each student read their book to their neighbor and the teacher.
- Tell the students to read their new book My Yellow Box to their families at home.