MBR BEGINNING READING PROGRAM
| LAST LESSON | TABLE OF CONTENTS | NEXT LESSON |
UNIT I - LESSON 34
- Introduce the word "my"
- Read sentences with the word "my"
- Pocket chart
- Hand puppet
- Alphabet book like Dr. Seuss's ABC
- Word ring with the words from the previous lessons that need review.
- One word card with the word "my" in lower case letters
- Sentence Strips
- My apple is on the table.
- My elephant is with the zebra.
- My quarter is not in the jar.
- I put my valentine under the kite.
- Pictures on 5"x8" index cards
- Worksheets 1-34A, 1-34B, 1-34C
- Letter Names
- Sing the alphabet song with the students a couple of times as the puppet carefully touches each letter on your display. Make sure the students slow down when they come to L, M, N, O, P and the letters T, U, V. One good way to do this would be to have the students clap when they sing the letters N and U.
- Read a good Alphabet Book like Dr. Seuss's ABC during story time.
- Phonemic Awareness
- Continue helping the students say the words on the word ring sound by sound. For example point to the letters in the word "under" as you say the sounds /un/ /der/. Then have the students say the sounds with you.
- Review The Words On The Word Ring
- Have all the students read the words together.
- If your group is small enough, have each student read the words. Otherwise choose students you feel need the most help.
- Introduce The Word "my"
- Introduce the word "my" by holding up a word card for "my" and telling the students that this is the word for "my". Then use the word "my" in sentences to illustrate its meaning. For example, hold up a word card for "my" as you point to your shoe and say "This is my shoe". Be sure second language learners know the meaning of the word.
- Place the word card for "my" in the pocket chart and demonstrate its sign. Make sure the students know the difference between the signs for the words "my" and "has". Also make sure to emphasize the difference between their beginning sounds.
- Call on individual students to say sentences with the word "my" while you hold up the word card. Have the class repeat each sentence. Make sure the students emphasize and sign the word "my" each time they say it.
- Read Sentences With The Word "my"
- Place the sentences from the materials list above in the pocket chart. And place the objects and pictures on the floor or on a nearby table.
- Have all the students read the sentences together.
- Choose individual students to help the puppet find and read the new word for the day in the sentences.
- Then choose individual students to read the sentences and find and pick up the corresponding objects and pictures.
- Seat Work
- Have each student do Worksheets 1-34A and 1-34B.
- Review Sessions
- After the lesson is over, pin up copies of the day's words and phrases around the room where the students can see them.
- Have the students say and sign the words at least twice during the day.
- Give each student Worksheet 1-34C to do at home.
- Tell the students to show their families how to read and sign the words.