MBR BEGINNING READING PROGRAM
| LAST LESSON | TABLE OF CONTENTS | NEXT LESSON |
UNIT I - LESSON 3
- Introduce the word "yellow"
- Introduce phrases with the word "yellow"
- Pocket chart
- Word Ring - a large two inch loose leaf ring with the words from the previous lessons
- Word cards from the previous two lessons
- Six word cards with the word "yellow" in lower case letters
- Sentence Strips
- a yellow house
- a yellow car
- Pictures on 5"x8" index cards
- yellow house
- blue house
- red house
- various toy cars - one of which is yellow
- piece of yellow paper to illustrate the word "yellow"
- Worksheets 1-3A, 1-3B
- Review The Words On The Word Ring
- Have all the students read the words together.
- If your group is small enough, have each student read the words. Otherwise choose students you feel need the most help.
- Introduce The Word "yellow"
- Start by having the students identify the color of a piece of yellow paper. Then have the students find other objects around the room that are also yellow. If there are second language learners, be sure "yellow" is identified in both English and the primary language but put the emphasis on the English.
- Demonstrate to the students the sign for "yellow". Make sure all the students can correctly sign the word "yellow" as they say it.
- Now show the students the word "yellow" and explain that "this is the word for yellow". Have the students say and sign the word "yellow" again as you hold a word card next to the yellow. Then put a word card for "yellow" in the pocket chart below the piece of yellow paper.
- Do the Matching Activity with six copies of the word "yellow" and six copies of each of two words from the previous lessons that you would like to review. Note that "A" and "a" are particularly good to review since many students tend to confuse them with the letter "I" when it is introduced.
- Game - Word Hunt
- Spread all the word cards from this and the previous lessons on the floor . There should be six copies of each word.
- Ask a student to pick up three words that say "yellow". Ask another student to pick up the rest of the words that say "yellow". Do the same for the remaining words.
- Be sure the class pronounces and signs every word that is picked up.
- Read Phrases With The Word "yellow"
- Place the phrases from the materials list "a yellow car" and "a yellow house" in the pocket chart. And place the toy cars and pictures of houses on the floor or on a nearby table.
- Have all the students read the phrases together.
- Then choose individual students to read the phrases and find and pick up the corresponding objects and pictures.
- Seat Work
- Have each student do Worksheets 1-3A and 1-3B. Be sure the students use the right colors.
- Review Sessions
- After the lesson is over, pin up copies of the day's words and phrases around the room where the students can see them.
- Have the students say and sign the words at least twice during the day.
- Give each student a duplicates of Worksheets 1-3A and 1-3B to read and color at home.
- Tell the students to show their families how to read and sign the words.