MBR BEGINNING READING PROGRAM
| LAST LESSON | TABLE OF CONTENTS | NEXT LESSON |
UNIT I - LESSON 27
- Introduce the word "not"
- Read sentences with the word "not"
- Pocket chart
- Hand puppet
- Word ring with the words from the previous lessons that need review
- One word card with the word "not" in lower case letters
- Sentence Strips
- The valentine is not with the kite.
- The duck is not under the red kite.
- The yellow pencil is not in the box.
- The apple is not with the little flower.
- Pictures on 5"x8" index cards
- various kites - one of which is red
- red pencil and yellow pencil
- red toy car and yellow toy car
- various flowers - one of which is yellow
- yellow duck
- Worksheets 1-27A, 1-27B, 1-27C
- Letter Names
- Ask for a volunteer to come and touch the letters or point to them with a pointer as the alphabet song is sung up to the letter "Zz". You may also want to have the puppet point along with the volunteer.
- Write the letter "Uu" on the board. Be sure to point out the capital and lower case versions of the letter. Have the students say the name of the letter and look for it in their names and in words around the room.
- Phonemic Awareness
- Again tell the students to listen carefully as you say the first part of a word and the puppet says the second part. Then tell them to say the complete word. For example if you say "ele" and the puppet says "phant" everyone should respond with the word "elephant".
- Review The Words On The Word Ring
- Have all the students read the words together.
- If your group is small enough, have each student read the words. Otherwise choose students you feel need the most help.
- Introduce The Word "not"
- Introduce the word "not" by holding up a word card for "not" and telling the students that this is the word for "not". Then use the word "not" in sentences to illustrate its meaning. For example, hold up a word card for "not" as you say "Johnny is not at school today". Be sure second language learners know the meaning of the word.
- Place the word card for "not" in the pocket chart and demonstrate its sign. Make sure all the students can correctly sign "not".
- Call on individual students to say sentences with the word "not" while you hold up the word card. Have the class repeat each sentence. Make sure the students emphasize and sign the word "not" each time they say it.
- Read Sentences With The Word "not"
- Place the sentences from the materials list above in the pocket chart. And place the objects and pictures on the floor or on a nearby table.
- Have all the students read the sentences together.
- Choose individual students to help the puppet find and read the new word for the day in the sentences.
- Then choose individual students to read the sentences and find and pick up the corresponding objects and pictures.
- Seat Work
- Have each student do Worksheets 1-27A and 1-27B.
- Review Sessions
- After the lesson is over, pin up copies of the day's words and phrases around the room where the students can see them.
- Have the students say and sign the words at least twice during the day.
- Give each student Worksheet 1-27C to do at home.
- Tell the students to show their families how to read and sign the words.