MBR BEGINNING READING PROGRAM
| LAST LESSON | TABLE OF CONTENTS | NEXT LESSON |
UNIT I - LESSON 24
- Introduce the word "valentine"
- Read sentences with the word "valentine"
- Pocket chart
- Hand puppet
- Favorite story book with lots of pictures for the phonemic awareness activity
- Word ring with the words from the previous lessons that need review
- One word card with the word "valentine" in lower case letters
- Sentence Strips
- The little valentine is with the box.
- The red valentine is with the kite.
- The boy put the valentine and the duck in the box.
- The girl put the little valentine under the red flower.
- Pictures on 5"x8" index cards
- yellow duck
- red flower and yellow flower
- various size valentines - one of which is red
- Worksheets 1-24A, 1-24B, 1-24C
- Letter Names
- Ask for a volunteer to come and touch the letters or point to them with a pointer as the alphabet song is sung up to the letter "Ww". You may also want to have the puppet point along with the volunteer.
- Write the letter "Rr" on the board. Be sure to point out the capital and lower case versions of the letter. Have the students say the name of the letter and look for it in their names and in words around the room.
- Phonemic Awareness
- Have the students help the puppet say the ending sounds of pictures in a favorite book. Give the students clues by emphasizing the ending sound of each picture.
- Review The Words On The Word Ring
- Have all the students read the words together.
- If your group is small enough, have each student read the words. Otherwise choose students you feel need the most help.
- Introduce The Word "valentine"
- Start by showing the students a valentine and asking them what it is. If there are second language learners, be sure "valentine" is identified in both English and the primary language but put the emphasis on the English.
- Demonstrate to the students the sign for "valentine". Explain the fact that the sign for "valentine" illustrates the shape of a heart. Make sure all the students can correctly sign the word "valentine" as they say it.
- Now show the students the word "valentine" and explain that "this is the word for valentine". Have the students say and sign the word "valentine" again as you hold a word card next to the valentine. Then put a word card for "valentine" in the pocket chart below the picture of a valentine.
- Call on individual students to say sentences with the word "valentine" while you hold up the word card. Have the class repeat each sentence. Make sure the students emphasize and sign the word "valentine" each time they say it.
- Read Sentences With The Word "valentine"
- Place the sentences from the materials list above in the pocket chart. And place the objects and pictures on the floor or on a nearby table.
- Have all the students read the sentences together.
- Choose individual students to help the puppet find and read the new word for the day in the sentences.
- Then choose individual students to read the sentences and find and pick up the corresponding objects and pictures.
- Seat Work
- Have each student do Worksheets 1-24A and 1-24B.
- Review Sessions
- After the lesson is over, pin up copies of the day's words and phrases around the room where the students can see them.
- Have the students say and sign the words at least twice during the day.
- Give each student Worksheet 1-24C to do at home.
- Tell the students to show their families how to read and sign the words.