MBR BEGINNING READING PROGRAM
| LAST LESSON | TABLE OF CONTENTS | NEXT LESSON |
UNIT I - LESSON 21
- Introduce the word "red"
- Read sentences with the word "red"
- Pocket chart
- Hand puppet
- Word ring with the words from the previous lessons that need review. Be sure to periodically change the order of the words.
- One word card with the word "red" in lower case letters
- Sentence Strips
- The apple is red.
- Put the red flower under the little car.
- Put the red pencil in the box.
- I see a red flower and a duck.
- various apples - one of which is red
- various flowers - one of which is red
- various size toy cars
- various pencils - one of which is red
- yellow duck
- piece of red paper
- Worksheets 1-21A, 1-21B, 1-21C
- Letter Names
- Ask for a volunteer to come and touch the letters or point to them with a pointer as the alphabet song is sung up to the letter "Tt". You may also want to have the puppet point along with the volunteer.
- Write the letter "Oo" on the board. Be sure to point out the capital and lower case versions of the letter. Have the students say the name of the letter and look for it in their names and in words around the room.
- Phonemic Awareness
- Tell the students that today we will now be learning about ending sounds. Tell them to listen carefully while the puppet repeats the ending sound of a word. Say a word like "zoo" and have the puppet repeat the ending sound "oo". Repeat with some other words.
- Then tell the students to help the puppet say the ending sounds of some words.
- Review The Words On The Word Ring
- Have all the students read the words together.
- If your group is small enough, have each student read the words. Otherwise choose students you feel need the most help.
- Introduce The Word "red"
- Start by having the students identify the color of a piece of red paper. Encourage the students to find other objects around the room that are also red. If there are second language learners, be sure "red" is identified in both English and the primary language but put the emphasis on the English.
- Demonstrate to the students the sign for "red". Make sure all the students can correctly sign the word "red" as they say it.
- Now show the students the word "red" and explain that "this is the word for red". Have the students say and sign the word "red" again as you hold a word card next to the piece of red paper. Then put a word card for "red" in the pocket chart below the piece of red paper.
- Call on individual students to say sentences with the word "red" while you hold up the word card. Have the class repeat each sentence. Make sure the students emphasize and sign the word "red" each time they say it.
- Read Sentences With The Word "red"
- Place the sentences from the materials list above in the pocket chart. And place the objects and pictures on the floor or on a nearby table.
- Have all the students read the sentences together.
- Choose individual students to help the puppet find and read the new word for the day in the sentences.
- Then choose individual students to read the sentences and find and pick up the corresponding objects and pictures.
- Seat Work
- Have each student do Worksheets 1-21A and 1-21B.
- Review Sessions
- After the lesson is over, pin up copies of the day's words and phrases around the room where the students can see them.
- Have the students say and sign the words at least twice during the day.
- Give each student Worksheet 1-21C to do at home.
- Tell the students to show their families how to read and sign the words.