MBR BEGINNING READING PROGRAM
| LAST LESSON | TABLE OF CONTENTS | NEXT LESSON |
UNIT I - LESSON 14
- Introduce MBR Book 1 Reading For Fun
- Word ring with words from the previous lessons
- Hand puppet
- A book of Nursery Rhymes or other children's rhymes
- A copy of MBR Book 1 Reading For Fun for each student. It's a good idea to to use card stock for the book covers.
- Letter Names
- Ask for a volunteer to come and touch the letters or point to them with a pointer as the alphabet song is sung up to the letter "Mm". You may also want to have the puppet point along with the volunteer.
- Write the letter "Hh" on the board. Be sure to point out the capital and lower case versions of the letter. Have the students say the name of the letter and look for it in their names and in words around the room..
- Phonemic Awareness
- Again read poems and jingles to the students and explain that words rhyme when they have the same ending sounds. Point out all the rhyming words in the poem and give a few more examples of rhyming words.
- Then play a game in which you say pairs of words and the students clap each time the pair rhymes.
- Review The Words On The Word Ring
- Have all the students read the words together.
- If your group is small enough, have each student read the words. Otherwise choose students you feel need the most help.
- Introduce The MBR Book Reading For Fun
- Explain to the students what books are and how to take care of them.
- Have the students read Reading For Fun as a group while it is held up for all to see.
- Then choose individual students to read pages of the book.
- This would be a good time to have a class party to celebrate the first book.
- Have the students reread their books over the next several days.
- Seat Work
- Have the students color their copies of the book - make sure the students color the flower yellow on page 5 and the pencil yellow on page 6.
- Have each student read their book to their neighbor and the teacher.
- Tell the students to read their new book Reading For Fun to their families at home.