MBR BEGINNING READING PROGRAM
| LAST LESSON | TABLE OF CONTENTS | NEXT LESSON |
UNIT I - LESSON 11
- Introduce the word "the"
- Read sentences with the word "the"
- Pocket chart
- Hand puppet
- A book of Nursery Rhymes or other children's rhymes
- Bag for Grab Bag Game
- Word ring with the words from the previous lessons.
- One word card with the word "the" in lower case letters
- Sentence Strips
- I see the boy.
- I see the boy and girl.
- I see the car and the yellow house.
- I see the flower and the pencil.
- Phrase strips (sentence strips cut to size for the following phrases)
- the house
- the car
- the yellow car
- the pencil
- the flower
- the girl
- the boy
- the yellow house
- Pictures on 5"x8" index cards
- yellow house, blue house, red house
- Worksheets 1-11A, 1-11B, 1-11C
- Letter Names
- Sing the alphabet song as the puppet touches the letters up to the letter "Jj".
- Write the letter "Ee" on the board. Be sure to point out the capital and lower case versions of the letter. Have the students say the name of the letter and look for it in their names and in words around the room.
- Phonemic Awareness
- Review a familiar rhyme like Hickory Dickory Dock.
- Then tell the students to listen carefully to the puppet as it recites the rhyme and help the puppet with words it can't remember.
- Review The Words On The Word Ring
- Have all the students read the words together.
- If your group is small enough, have each student read the words. Otherwise choose students you feel need the most help.
- Introduce The Word "the"
- Introduce the word "the" by holding up a word card for "the" and telling the students that this is the word for "the". Then use the word "the" in phrases to illustrate its meaning. For example, hold up a word card for "the" as you point to a table and say "the table". Be sure second language learners know the meaning of the word.
- Place the word card for "the" in the pocket chart and demonstrate its sign. Make sure all the students can correctly sign "the".
- Call on individual students to say sentences with the word "the" while you hold up the word card. Have the class repeat each sentence. Make sure the students emphasize and sign the word "the" each time they say it.
- Game - Grab Bag
- Put folded phrase strips from the Materials List in a bag.
- Shake the bag and call on individual students to close their eyes, pick a phrase and then read and sign their phrase.
- Then have the whole class read and sign the phrase.
- Read Sentences With The Word "the"
- Place the sentences from the materials list above in the pocket chart. And place the objects and pictures on the floor or on a nearby table.
- Have all the students read the sentences together.
- Choose individual students to help the puppet find and read the new word for the day in the sentences.
- Then choose individual students to read the sentences and find and pick up the corresponding objects and pictures.
- Seat Work
- Have each student do Worksheets 1-11A and 1-11B.
- Review Sessions
- After the lesson is over, pin up copies of the day's words and phrases around the room where the students can see them.
- Have the students say and sign the words at least twice during the day.
- Give each student Worksheet 1-11C to do at home.
- Tell the students to show their families how to read and sign the words.